Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organisation that provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The French section of MSF implements programs in thirty-three countries.
MSF is currently looking for a: CELL MANAGER for South-East Asia - located in Tokyo
The Tokyo Cell is part of the Operational Centre Paris (OCP) and currently supervises 8 programs in the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Cambodia with around 900 staff and an overall budget of 18M EUR. Moreover the cell is monitoring the region for the response to emergencies in coordination with the Emergency Cell based in Paris. There is currently an emergency intervention to support the MoH in responding to a Covid outbreak in PNG.
Apart from the response to emergencies, some of the operational priorities of the cell in the coming years are the following:
- Develop two new projects in the field of MDR Tuberculosis in Pakistan and Philippines.
- Maintain medical and relief activities in Mindanao, Philippines, in link with the armed conflict.
- In the Peshawar maternity, find strategies to mitigate the high demand and prioritize the access for complex deliveries.
- Support the increase of the Cutaneous Leishmaniasis cohorts in Eastern Pakistan.
- Ensure the adequate volume and quality of health services for the Rohingya refugees in a context of heavy discrimination that requires a consistent public positioning.
- Hand – over the HEPC activities to the MoH and organize the closure of the Cambodian mission.
The transversal priorities of the operations department are requiring for a more patient centered approach and for increasing our links and partnerships with external aid actors whenever relevant. In terms of intra MSF movement collaborations, the cell manager will lead the analysis of opportunities to make the best of the MSF regional entities (MSF country offices and South East and East Asia Pacific platform) in order to reach the most efficient set-up to support the missions.
You report to the Director of Operations in Paris and directly supervises and supports 5 Head of Missions and a cell team of 5 people dedicated to medicine, logistics, finance, HR and coms.
To contribute to the definition of the operational policies and plans:
- To take part to debates and decision-making processes (boards and group committee meetings when needed)
- To elaborate regional or thematic strategies
- To draw up programs and define their objectives.
To supervise the missions and activities
- To be responsible of the pertinence and the quality of the field programs implementation
- To analyse the contexts of intervention and to propose relevant and adapted operations
- To define and adjust durably the resources to allow programs implementation and to set up the different steps of actions that need to be implemented
- To bring support to Head of missions
- To support them in the politicization of technical matters and the negotiation of the intervention area
- To guarantee the policies’ enforcement and tools implementation
- To make sure of the fluidity of information between the Direction of operations, the other departments, the fields and the cell team
- To be a privileged interlocutor towards support managers in the other departments
- To propose public communications.
To manage the teams:
- To recruit, manage, advise, provide recommendations, support, motivate, federate the teams and develop their skills and qualifications
- To define their individual and collective objectives
- To check your team’s contributions to transversal matters.
To contribute to the reinforcement of qualifications:
- By participating to the definition and the organization of trainings
- By proposing reviews, evaluations and capitalizations on your sphere of operation
To manage the budget of operations of the cell and the teams:
- To elaborate, manage and follow-up the budgets
- To guarantee funds research, to manage to fulfil their objectives and to insure contracts compliance.
To represent MSF and its interests:
- To represent MSF on you intervention area
- To check the fluidity of information and to coordinate all the expected actors (both internal and external) in your intervention area.
- You have a significant experience with MSF operations at the HQ or as a Head of Mission or a Medical Coordinator, ideally including some experience in the region.
- You have a significant experience in managing mid to long term medical programs in partnership with public administrations and other aid actors.
- You are a fluent English writer and speaker. French, Japanese or a language of one of the countries of intervention are a strong asset.
- You have very good skills at project and teams management.
- Flexibility to travel frequently abroad.
- Starting 7.8 million JPY to 8.8 million JPY annual gross
- Social insurance (health insurance and pension insurance) arranged
- 24 paid leaves per year
- Administrative costs, procedures for your visa and the return ticket are covered by MSF.
- Temporary accommodation before move into apartment (up to one month)
- Relocation allowance
- Apartment contract related fee covered by MSF
Location: Tokyo – Japan with frequent travels between fields and headquarters.
Full-time Japanese contract. Employment period: three years from start date.
Position to be filled by: July 2021
MSF tient à la protection des données personnelles de ses membres, de ses salariés et des personnes souhaitant rejoindre l’association. Les données collectées lors de cette candidature seront strictement transmises, pour un traitement équitable et de qualité, aux personnes intervenant dans le processus de recrutement, quel que soit l’endroit où se trouve la structure MSF à laquelle elles appartiennent. Pour plus d’informations sur la façon dont sont traités vos données et vos droits, veuillez consulter notre politique de confidentialité.Postuler à cette offre