The Regional Field Communication Coordinator strategically supports Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) Operational Centre Geneva (OCG) as an all-round communications specialist on a “flying” contract, in the different countries of the Sahel and the Lake Chad Basin, where OCG is currently operating (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Niger, Nigeria). Communicating about MSF work, the people MSF assists and the crises we witness is a core element of MSF’s identity.
The objective of the position is to coordinate and implement operational communication projects in the region according to MSF standards in the missions/ or during an emergency.
The focus of the work is a blend of strategy and implementation to support operations staff and other communications field staff on strategic and reactive communications based on a good understanding of the changing communications environment, and to both develop and implement plans and content to reach objectives.
He will also act upon demand as Emergency Field Communications Manager EFCM, with the same responsibilities as FCM.
The regional FCC reports to Cell 3 OCG Communications and Advocacy Advisor and has functional relations with OCG Heads of Missions (HoMs), working closely with them to support the implementation of the communication strategies and initiatives in these different countries and support the operational communications set-up within the country, according to OCG priorities.
MSF seeks a: Regional Field Communication Coordinator - Lac Tchad/Sahel
Strategy Building and Project Management
Under supervision of the HOM(s) and in cooperation with the Communications and Advocacy Advisor (CAA) in HQ as well as with the Field Communication Officer(s) (FCO) or other FCM in the region/ country:
- Support the design of the communications strategy for the mission, advising on public positioning and remaining reactive to emergencies and crisis communications.
- Identify topics of interest for communications products and activities related to health ;
- Develop and implement communications projects to promote the visibility of the organisation, improving awareness of its principles and work, reinforcing information on MSF activities among communities and within the WCA region.
- Engage with the affected communities and support behavioral change communications initiatives in coordination with the field teams;
- Collect a variety of content to use on different platforms, to highlight conditions for people we work with, in line with the communications and operational priorities
- Collect testimonies and stories of patients and MSF staff for multimedia and printed projects.
- Produce - or supervises the production of - local comms contents (leaflets, brochures, posters, radio spots, articles, photos, videos.) according to strategy and budget.
- Help producing international comms content by providing data, information, quotes, testimonies, pictures, videos and other means to the CA or the com person in charge of writing international comms contents at headquarter level.
- Track and archive communications production on the country to build institutional memory.
Team Management and Mentoring
- Manage and develop capacities of Field Communication Officers on the OCG country mission he/she covers, according to the needs identified jointly with HoM and CAA
- Train and mentor FCOs, in their responsibilities for local media relation and contents diffusion in their respective countries
- Fill the gap whenever an FCM position is vacant or take over on CAA responsibilities upon request
- Play the role of a spokesperson when seen as opportune and necessary
- Provides guidance on how to deal with media at time of crisis or emergencies, and develop guidelines for dealing with such crises through in-country media.
- While on assignment, establish and maintain a network of contacts in the press/media to ensure and promote the dissemination of information; and provide support to broadcast media and journalists and facilitate their access to related information, as appropriate.
- Produce regular reports on achieved results and future priorities.
- Support the production of communications budget meant to support identified and agreed com priorities at the missions or cell level. This budget will be submitted for approval to the Head of Mission(s) and coms department at HQ.
- Previous working experience of at least 4 years in communications, journalism or public relations.
- Previous working experience in producing multimedia content production
- Experience with MSF or other international NGOs in developing countries. Experience working in an international environment and knowledge of the WCA region
- French and English. Command of local languages is desirable
- Computer literacy (word, excel)
- Degree in Journalism, Communications, Humanitarian affairs, Political Sciences or related university degree.
- Experience with media relation and local communications
Strong command of AV skills (video and photo editing);
Demonstrated understanding of digital and social media;
Ability to propose creative solutions and to make innovative proposals as related to communication at the local community and global levels;
People Management, commitment, project management, flexibility, results, teamwork
Type: International staff contract – IRP2
Contract Type: 1 year with possible extension
Approximate start date: April 2021
Working Time: 100%
MSF tient à la protection des données personnelles de ses membres, de ses salariés et des personnes souhaitant rejoindre l’association. Les données collectées lors de cette candidature seront strictement transmises, pour un traitement équitable et de qualité, aux personnes intervenant dans le processus de recrutement, quel que soit l’endroit où se trouve la structure MSF à laquelle elles appartiennent. Pour plus d’informations sur la façon dont sont traités vos données et vos droits, veuillez consulter notre politique de confidentialité.Postuler à cette offre