Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian aid organization that provides assistance in more than 60 countries to populations in distress, to victims of natural or manmade disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and irrespective of origin, religion, creed or political affiliation. To develop this work, the Medical Department of the MSF Operational Centre Brussels (OCB) is looking for an: Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Program Manager (M/F)
Ariadne, Operational Center Brussels’s health information unit, is designed to supervise the collection, processing and use of medical data in MSF-OCB. The unit is part of the Medical Department. Ariadne aims to provide support for informed decision making by supporting the cells and field teams in OCB in data management. This in line with the projects’ objectives, ambitions and demands, and OCB’s overall ambitions according to the Operational Prospects.
Health information management comprises a whole series of activities and responsibilities which starts with the data collection in front of the patient, the use of electronic databases, until the production of analyses which can be used by clinicians, epidemiologists and operational managers to guide clinical activities and humanitarian operations. Operational and medical, humanitarian and strategic intelligence is produced out of relevant, clean, quality project data.
An Electronic Medical Record (EMR) solution is deployed to answer to the operational need: To improve the patient care by making medical information available across medical and support services and over time. Implementations can be indicated for health structures with a complex or multidisciplinary patient flow or for the follow-up of chronic diseases (TB, HIV, etc.). To have the most appropriate solution for any given project, a thorough analysis of specific needs must be done in the field and a well-defined choice between multiple options needs to be made.
The unit’s goal is to provide a broad and consistent way to provide good quality data in the field, with a good balance between tailor-made (through relevant and usable short-term support) and standardized systemic electronic tools.
We are looking for a person, who has a good understanding of the information needs of healthcare providers in MSF settings with program management capacities and relevant experience in health informatics. The candidate should have an aptitude for formulating strategy and carrying out work plans, and with proven experience in leadership and stakeholder management.
Purpose of the post
To ensure alignment of the Electronic Medical Record EMR program with overall vision and goals of OCB in patient management support. In the context of the Ariadne Unit the E-health program manager will analyze the field request to determine the suitability of digital solutions that are available within reasonable timing and cost, and translate these accordingly into EMR projects for implementation, outlining the activities and resources required.
Under the direct supervision of the Ariadne Coordinator and the overall guidance of the deputy medical director, the E-health program manager will be responsible for maximizing EMR benefits for OCB by ensuring that EMR projects are delivered on time, in scope and on budget. S/he will work closely with all relevant stakeholders involved in Brussels headquarters and in the field. This position requires occasional to frequent travel to MSF projects and stakeholder facilities.
Under the direct supervision of Ariadne’s Coordinator, the E-health program manager is responsible for:
• Analyzing the requests of the field for potential digital solutions that can support the project in its patient information flow and information availability.
• Having a very good understanding of the system used and based on its constraints judges what is possible or not to implement (ability to build a project based on user stories and real-life problems). Can propose different modules tailored to the project needs.
• Initiating the setup of the EMR project implementation committees for major projects in the field and identifies individuals to be appointed as members.
• Creating and maintaining a detailed program plan and relevant documentation to ensure proper function of the EMR program (EMR Tool Kit).
• Monitoring the EMR program budget, implementations of projects and providing inputs and recommendations on resources (both human and financial) to ensure that all EMR projects are well resourced for optimal results.
• Identifying and engaging all relevant stakeholders at program level to ensure their participation, strengthening their collaboration, collate their views, manage expectations and anticipated resistance.
• Performing program risk management: Identifies and analyzes risks and liaises with the relevant stakeholders to ensure timely mitigation and resolution.
• Leading Request For Proposals (RFP) and contracting processes for EMR implementations that have a broader purpose than just one project.
• Working closely with the ICT team to get commitment for the technical resources required to implement solutions and provide recommendations for adjustments based on technical needs.
• Working in collaboration with the data-protection officer and the ICT security working group to ensure the proposed electronic solutions are aligned with data-protection rules and data safety.
• Coordinating evaluation activities to support organizational learning as well as documenting lessons learnt and best practices to support responsive decision-making.
• Line managing the Mobile Implantation Officers (MIO(s)) and functionally managing the field project managers on the and guiding them in their work.
• Building the capacity of the MIO and project managers in process documentation, business case analysis and implementation tasks.
• Regularly reporting progress & deviations to the line manager, the sponsor, the steering committee and the Project Portfolio Management Committee (PPMC).
• Representing OCB in intersectional discussions around EMR (in support of Ariadne’s coordinator) and in “the Bahmni Community”.
• Performing any other related duties, as required by the line manager.
Required qualifications and experiences:
• Medical or paramedical profile or bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or medical informatics.
• Prior field experience with MSF or with a similar humanitarian medical care organization in project management.
• Proven track record in leading a successful implementation of electronic medical record systems or experience relating to project management or business analysis of information systems related projects are an asset.
• Experience with OpenMRS and Bahmni or similar tools is a strong asset.
• Analytical skills to understand the EMR needs of users in MSF.
• Result-oriented and pro-activity.
• Excellent negotiation, communication and stakeholder management skills.
• Confidence in dealing with program issues and in broadly communicating information across the organization.
• Willingness and availability to travel and work in different field locations (ability to travel up to 25% of time).
• Fluent in English and French.
• Adherence to MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment.
• Adherence to the MSF Behavioural Commitments.
• Contract type: open-ended, full time • Location: Brussels, with occasional international travel
• Salary Package: Hospital insurance (DKV) - Pension plan - 100% reimbursement for public transportation costs • Starting date: Asap
Deadline for applications: 07/05/2021
CV + cover letter to be sent to [email protected] mentioning “EMR Program Manager” in the title.
Please name your application documents with your LAST NAME. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.
MSF tient à la protection des données personnelles de ses membres, de ses salariés et des personnes souhaitant rejoindre l’association. Les données collectées lors de cette candidature seront strictement transmises, pour un traitement équitable et de qualité, aux personnes intervenant dans le processus de recrutement, quel que soit l’endroit où se trouve la structure MSF à laquelle elles appartiennent. Pour plus d’informations sur la façon dont sont traités vos données et vos droits, veuillez consulter notre politique de confidentialité.