The MSF Foundation is a specialized satellite entity created by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) dedicated to medical innovation targeting patients living in contexts with limited resources. Ongoing projects relate, among other things, to the use of 3D printing to create personalized prostheses; the development of digital tools for epidemic control and surveillance; and the development of a smartphone application based on machine learning to streamline and automate antibiotic susceptibility testing: Antibiogo.
The Antibiogo project will contribute to the fight against antibiotic resistance, a major public health concern that is expected to cause 10 million deaths per year by 2050.
In the context of a new field position, The MSF Foundation is looking for an ANTIBIOGO, In vitro diagnostic medical device, Study Coordinator (M/F) based in Mexico.
Antibiogo is a free, open source, offline Android app, that supports non-expert laboratory technicians in measuring and interpreting antibiotic susceptibility tests, in order to help doctors prescribe appropriate antibiotics to their patients and to provide accurate results that can be used for surveillance purposes.
A first version of Antibiogo has been clinically evaluated across three different sites and countries (Jordan, Mali & Senegal), and has been self-certified in May 2022 according to the In Vitro Diagnostic European Directive (IVDD) as a mobile device app used for the interpretation of antibiograms, that is intended to be largely deployed.
In parallel, a second version of the app integrating supplementary features is under development and will be further evaluated in additional countries like Mexico. The evaluation of Antibiogo in Mexico will be performed through several operational research studies implemented throughout the country in different study sites (including central and peripheral bacteriology laboratories), that will evaluate both clinical performance of Antibiogo and usability in intended use context.
Different teams work in collaboration on Antibiogo under the responsibility of Antibiogo program manager, including the clinical team, the product team, and the quality assurance team. Within the clinical team, the research coordinator is responsible for the development and implementation of Antibiogo evaluation studies in the different countries, together with local research assistants and, when necessary, with country-based study coordinators.
You are responsible for the proper conduct of Antibiogo evaluation studies in Mexico, in accordance with the study protocols and procedures, ethical principles, MSF policy, and local and international regulations.
Main responsibilities: Under the hierarchical responsibility of MSF Mexico Medical Department and the functional responsibility of Antibiogo research coordinator (The MSF Foundation) and, in close collaboration with the study investigation teams in Mexico, your main duties are:
- Liaise between The MSF Foundation, Antibiogo project team, the local research partners, the local study sites and MSF Mexico.
- Be the privileged interlocutor of the study sites, especially with the focal person responsible for the study identified in each site.
- Follow the process of protocol submission to relevant local authorities and obtention of approvals.
- Contribute to presenting/explaining the evaluation studies, research methodologies and protocols, including data management processes, to all study sites.
- Contribute to elaborating study procedures, study forms, and training materials, that will be adapted depending on the local organization of each site.
- Follow logistical aspects and necessary material supply to the study sites (e.g.: antibiotic disks, culture media…) with the support of MSF Mexico.
- Participate in the initial training and provide continuous training to the staff involved in the studies (from local research partner and peripheral laboratories).
- Support the local teams in study implementation and participate in problem-solving on a daily basis.
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to the study sites to ensure that: study documentation is up to date and properly stored; data are properly collected and monitored; studies comply with Good Clinical Practice, Good Laboratory Practice, ethics, patient confidentiality, MSF policy, and local and international regulations.
- Contribute to regular reporting about study progress and any relevant information concerning the studies to Antibiogo project team, The MSF Foundation, MSF Mexico, and local partners involved.
- Participate in regular meetings locally, and in meetings organized with Antibiogo project team based in France.
- Collaborate in the construction of Antibiogo deployment strategy in Mexico.
Master’s degree (or similar) in epidemiology, laboratory science or biology is essential.
Degree in microbiology and/or in clinical trial is an asset.
Laboratory supervision and management experience is essential.
Participation in research coordination is essential.
Field experience with MSF or other NGO in low- middle-income countries is essential.
Experience in clinical bacteriology is desirable.
Languages: Fluent English and Spanish is essential (B2 minimum); French is desirable.
Competencies: Results and Quality; Teamwork and Cooperation; Communication with Partners; Behavioral Flexibility; Commitment to MSF Principles; Stress Management.
Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel); Desirable experience in software for data entry; Ethics in biomedical research.
Fixed term contract. Field Contract – remuneration according to the International Reference Field Function Grid (IRRFG) and according to previous International NGOs experiences. MSF provides: transportation, accommodation and per diem. Insurance: medical coverage and repatriation.
Duration: 4 months.
Starting date: From September 2022.
MSF tient à la protection des données personnelles de ses membres, de ses salariés et des personnes souhaitant rejoindre l’association. Les données collectées lors de cette candidature seront strictement transmises, pour un traitement équitable et de qualité, aux personnes intervenant dans le processus de recrutement, quel que soit l’endroit où se trouve la structure MSF à laquelle elles appartiennent. Pour plus d’informations sur la façon dont sont traités vos données et vos droits, veuillez consulter notre politique de confidentialité.Postuler à cette offre